When I saw a recipe that involved sausage and cream, I was a little bit concerned. It certainly isn’t the most natural pairing. I was keen to try this recipe though, as it’s not often you see a recipe for rocket that’s not just as a garnish or part of a salad so wanted to see what it was like cooked.
This it the perfect midweek dinner for spring/summer – light but still filling. And the rocket is a great touch, and a brilliant contrast to the meatiness of the sausage.
Recipe adapted from BBC Good Food – I found the original was a bit bland so added more rocket, seasoning and chilli.
- 8 pork sausages
- 400g gluten free spaghetti
- 150g rocket
- 2 red chillies , seeds in or out (depending on how hot you like it), finely chopped
- 150ml double cream
- PLUS 2 tsp olive oil
- LOTS of black pepper
- Squeeze the sausagemeat out of the skins, breaking into grape-size chunks. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Fry the chunks for about 8 mins until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta and chop most of the rocket. Add the chilli to the sausages, fry for 30 secs, then tip in the cream and chopped rocket. Season and heat until the rocket has just wilted.
- Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking liquid, then mix the pasta through the sauce with a splash of cooking water. Top with remaining rocket