I’ve been starting to take my own lunches to work recently – buying lunch from most places really is a nightmare if you can’t eat bread, pastry or pasta. We don’t have a microwave, so I can’t reheat leftovers, so more often than not I end up with a bowl of cereal or a green salad. Not very inspiring.
I thought I’d try out a noodle salad and since I have recently discovered the joys of peanut butter (where has it been all my life?) I was keen to make something savoury with it.
This is best in small portions because it can get a little heavy with the peanut butter, but the below recipe will make enough for at least a week’s lunches for one.
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 x 15ml tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 x 15ml tablespoon garlic oil
- 1 x 15ml tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 x 15ml tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- 100g smooth peanut butter
- 2 x 15ml tablespoons lime juice
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cooked chicken breast, chopped into pieces
- 150g beansprouts, rinsed
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 x 275g packets or 550g ready-prepared rice noodles (or egg noodles)
- 20g sesame seeds
- 4 x 15ml tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a bowl or jug.
- Put the other ingredients into a bowl.
- Pour the dressing over them and mix thoroughly to coat everything well.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and chopped coriander and pack up as needed.