I know that I’m late to the ‘cauliflower as a pizza base’ party, but am posting to prove that I managed to do this without messing it up.
I was very sceptical when someone said that I could microwave then bake grated cauliflower and it would magically be able turn into a pizza base – but that someone was right.
If you’re on a low carb diet, or forgot to buy a pizza base and happen to have a spare cauliflower, you could definitely do worse than making this.
Recipe is adapted from a Paula Deen recipe found here
- Portions: 1
- Carbs per portion: 14.4g
- Nonstick spray
- 2 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (about 1/2 a large head)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 sliced ball mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- parma ham
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Grate the cauliflower using a box grater until you have two cups of cauliflower crumbles. Place in a large bowl and microwave for seven to eight minutes, or until soft. Remove from the microwave and let cool.
- Mix in the egg, one cup mozzarella, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper. Once combined, pat into a 10-inch round on the prepared pizza pan. Spray lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Top the pizza with the sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella and the parma ham. Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Top with basil before serving.