As a type 1 diabetic, I’m always on the lookout for low carb desserts that don’t contain a load of chemical sweeteners. So this recipe is like the holy grail. At 6g of carb per portion (and 55cals for those who care), it means that I don’t even need to take an insulin shot for it and it contains my favourite ingredient: chocolate.
In fact, it’s so low carb that I can even double up the portion size and eat it without guilt (which is what I have done in these pictures!).
I’m happy to report that it is also delicious and something that I make very often when I have a sweet craving. They are also quick and easy to whip up so are great for serving to guests as they can be made in advance and kept in the fridge until ready.
- 50g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1tbsp condensed milk
- 2.5 tablespoons strong hot espresso
- 1.5 egg white
- 0.5tsp lemon juice
- Put the chocolate, cocoa powder and condensed milk into a medium heatproof bowl and melt over a pan of simmering water
- Remove from the heat (it will be quite thick at this stage) and while hot, pour in the coffee.
- Set aside to cool for 15 mins.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl with the lemon juice until they form stiff peaks.
- Stir 1 large spoonful of the whites into the chocolate mixture to loosen it, then fold the remaining whites in.
- Divide between 4 espresso cups (or 2 wine glasses if doubling up) and chill until ready to serve. Grate some dark chocolate over the top before serving.