I had a couple of pork steaks in the freezer that needed to be used and a quick internet search for inspiration led me to this.
This is nice and simple to throw together for a mid week meal, as everything is roasted together. It makes a nice change from just serving pork with apple sauce.
You have to be careful and make sure the pork doesn’t dry out, as it’s prone to do. Next time, I’d cut my pieces slightly larger to combat that.
I think the colours in this look really great on the plate too.
- ¼ a small head red cabbage , thinly sliced
- 1 red onion , halved and sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp unrefined dark brownsugar
- olive oil
- 300g pork shoulder steaks , trimmed of all fat, cut into pieces
- 1 tsp whole coriander seeds , roughly crushed
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Toss together the cabbage and onions together in a large baking tray. Mix the vinegar, sugar, 1 tbsp oil and season. Pour half over the cabbage and add the rest to the pork shoulder. Mix the cabbage well, sit the meat on top, sprinkle over the coriander seeds and season everything.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pork is tender.